by Brittany Shunk of The Bridal Suite and Special Occasion
You had the wedding of your dreams. Everything was perfect, right down to the last detail. Then, suddenly it’s over. You’re a Mrs., and you suddenly have a LOT of time on your hands. The post wedding bridal blues struggle is setting in. Yes, the post wedding bridal blues are a real thing and you are not alone! You have just spent every waking moment in the past year planning your beautiful nuptials and BAM!!! It’s over…. Just like that. Before you start crying, singing the blues or plummeting into the depths of despair, know there is a cure to the bridal blues! Behold! The cure lies below:
First, stop crying! There is still so much more to do! Suck it up buttercup, and start making your list.
Start out by having your wedding gown cleaned. The Bridal Suite & Special Occasion offers easy to use preservation kits by The Wedding Gown Preservation Company. It’s as simple as packing your gown in a box and shipping it off (The Bridal Suite will even do this part for you!). The Wedding Gown Preservation Company will clean and press your gown – and any accessories – and then pack it tight it a box to keep it safe for many, many years to come. The box will even fit right under your bed for easy storage! Don’t leave your dress to fend for itself in the closet. It was so good to you on your wedding day and doesn’t deserve to endure the attack of the moths.
- Spa day. Okay, okay… we know you just spent a week on a tropical island and you should be plenty relaxed by now, but it wouldn’t hurt to have one little day completely to yourself. Better yet, take your mommy with you. She also just spent a whole year (and probably a college education’s worth of money) on your wedding. Plus, moms are the best and we are sure you miss spending all that planning time with her. Use one of those glorious Visa gift cards you received for your wedding and indulge! Seriously… it’s for the greater good. The whole office doesn’t need to hear about your bridal blues after having heard about your wedding for a whole year.
- Change your name (if you’re planning to). You’re a Mrs.! Let your driver’s license scream it loud and proud! You will need plenty of copies of your marriage license, your old documentation and a free day. Don’t forget about your credit cards, student loans and bank accounts.
- Get started on those thank you cards. They aren’t going to write themselves… and chances are your new hubby isn’t going to write them either. At least not by himself. Use your new wifely powers of persuasion – and maybe some of that bridal shower lingerie – to encourage him to help you out. Get a bottle of wine and dig in. Make it a competition! Whoever writes the most doesn’t have to do the dishes for a week! It’s worth a try 😉
- If you haven’t already, put those glorious new diamonds on your homeowner’s insurance. Oh and add your spouse to your plans. Call up your agent. He’ll do the rest.
- Change your W-4 at work. You will no longer be claiming “single” and “1”. Chat with your hubby and make sure he does this, too. If you are adding each other to your medical insurance plans, you can probably do this at the same time.
- Build your wedding album. If your photographer is doing this for you, you can still make a bomb scrap book! Only you know your wedding on a super personal level… don’t leave the scrapbooking up to someone else. Get your cute, perfectly-sculpted-for-your-mermaid-wedding-gown booty to Hobby Lobby and shop! Those bride and groom stickers are too dang adorable to pass up!
- Use your sweet new skills and help your BFF plan her dream wedding. Be prepared… you have suddenly become the resident expert and everyone will be asking for your advice and/or help. Better yet… maybe call up Magadalyn at Bend Weddings and Events. Doesn’t it sound exhausting to go through all of that all over again?
So, as you see. No time to be sad! You still have so much to do, and really, why be sad? You have the whole rest of your life to plan and scheme with your new spouse. It all starts now!